Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Vegetarian Barley Soup- Carrot, chickpea, tomato

If you follow me on instagram (kayemkay), you make have seen this lovely soup a few weeks back. It is the only soup which I have followed a recipe for each time I make it. I rebel against recipes for most cooking adventures, using taste and smell as my guides, but this is a healthy and filling soup recipe that I have used again and again. Also, you can make meat eaters happy by browning some stewed beef with the carrots and celery. (Only brown for 5 minutes still, it will cook through when it boiling.)

Ingredients:

3 cups veg. broth
1 cup carrot juice
1 cup shredded carrots
1 cup minced celery
1/2 cup barley
1 15oz can chickpeas (garbanzo beans)
1 8oz can tomato sauce
2 tsp balsamic vinegar
1 tsp olive oil
1 tsp garlic salt
1/2 tsp black pepper

Instructions:

In a large pot on med-high heat, add oil and saute carrots and celery for 5 minutes.
Add broth, carrot juice, barley and beans and bring the pot to a boil.
Stir and set to simmer, covered for 30 minutes.
Add tomato sauce, and spices and return to a boil.
Boil for 15 minutes, uncovered, stirring frequently.
Remove from heat and stir in vinegar. Taste and season to your liking (I add parsley and rosemary as well).

I also like to thicken this soup by putting 3-4 ladles of soup in the blender, then adding it back in.


xo!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! No need to be shy.